Thursday, March 8, 2012

Breaking the News

The morning I took the test and saw it was positive I wanted to tell EVERYONE right away, but this isn't something I thought we should tell our parents over the phone. So, that morning I went to work for another busy day. That afternoon, Shawn's family was having a Welcome Home party for his cousin Stef and her fiance Rocky, and being that the day was about them, we decided not to tell anyone that day. We didn't want to take away from them as it had been a long time since any of us had seen them. Let me tell you though, keeping that secret was not easy! So when I finished work that afternoon I ran to the store, printed off some copies of the positive pregnancy test, bought a few picture frames and headed to the party. Visiting with the family that afternoon was wonderful! So afterwards, I called my parents and said I was going to come down to visit with them for a little while and headed for their house. When I got there, no one was home, so I put the picture face down on the counter along with a pair of baby shoes I wanted to show my mom that I'd finally finished. When they got home I just pretended like it was just a normal casual visit. Mom took out a bottle of wine and asked me if I would like a glass. I declined, trying to keep a straight face as to not give away the real reason I was declining and distracted her with the baby booties! I finally couldn't take it anymore and handed her the picture and the look on her face was priceless, as was my stepdad's reaction, because only a few days earlier I had told mom I had something to talk to her about (which was not related to pregnancy at all) and he says, "She's pregnant." Mom says, "That's not something she would tell me over the phone Tom," and she was right, I wouldn't have told her that way. So when I had shown up at the house that night all he could say was, "I WAS right!!" It was wonderful seeing them so excited! My sister was my next set up victim. I had told her I was at mom's and was going to run over to Grandma's to pick up some things. She decided to go with and was just returning home from rice lake so she asked me to meet at her house. Well I wanted everyone else to share in her reaction so I lied to her and said that I was busy at mom's and it would just be easier for her to meet me there. I could tell she was irritated about that, but she agreed. So her and Brode showed up to mom's and she was waiting for me outside. Again I wanted her to come into the house so I lied once more to her and asked her if she could come in because I had something I wanted to show her. For those of you who know my sister, you know that when she gets irritated she tends to get a little snippy (I love you Tiff!), so when she came in the house, right away she said, "What is it? I have Brode outside." So I hand her the card that contained the picture of the positve test and she looked at me like, What is this for? Let me tell you, once she opened that card and realized exactly what the picture was, her entire mood changed and I don't think I've ever seen a smile that big on her face ever! Her reaction was by far the most exciting! She's been bugging me for so long about when I'm going to have a baby it was great to tell her that I was finally pregnant. So from there, her and I and Brode left for Ladysmith. We stopped at Grandma Bubba's first because I was really excited to show her the booties I had crocheted. (She's the one who taught me how to crochet. Some say I'm a mini version of her, which is one of the things I am most proud of!) When we got there, I handed her the boots so she could admire all of my hard work and once she was distracted with them I handed her a copy of the picture and she was so entranced that she didn't even notice what the picture was so I finally asked her if she had even seen the picture. She looked down and her expression was priceless! She looks at me and says, "No wonder I've been dreaming again!" (For those of you who are not aware, my Grandma has a very unique ability to know someone in our family is pregnant sometimes before they do. She dreams about babies and that's how she knows. She has had this happen for all of her grandchildren and I believe that when my Aunt Tracy and Uncle Rich called to say they were expecting she had responded that she'd already known.{correct me if I'm wrong!} So when she calls and says she's dreaming, you can expect someone to be announcing their pregnancy soon!) One of my other cousins just recently became pregnant as well so she had thought the dreams were just about her, but surprise Grandma you have another great grandbaby on the way! She is very important to me, so being able to share that moment with her and see her reaction was wonderful!! From there, we headed over to my Dad's house. He was the one I was the most nervous to tell, not because I was ashamed or thought that he wouldn't approve, just simply because he's dad and you always want to make him proud. So we walked in to the house and he and Julie were watching Ax Men. Nerves getting the best of me I just shoved the picture at him and said, "here dad." He looked at it and his smile made the nerves disappear! He right away showed Julie and they were both so excited! Julie's son had just told them the week before that he and his girlfriend will be expecting baby number 2 as well so it was a very eventful couple of weeks for them but I was so glad they were happy! I felt bad that I couldn't stay and visit with any of my family longer but it was late and I still had over an hour drive home so I said goodbye to all of my family and headed home to my husband! So we had some more waiting to do as we decided to tell Shawn's family the following weekend. That wait was, again, very agonizing for me! Throughout the week we had decided to tell a few of our friends but we didn't want to tell too many people and have it hit facebook and have someone in Shawn's family find out that way. So when Saturday finally arrived, I was ecstatic! Shawn had made plans to take his younger cousins and nephew sledding with his brother so he went back to Couderay that afternoon and that morning he said he was just going to tell his mom when he was there as we didn't know when I'd get off of work that afternoon. Once I got to work and realized that I could still make it to Couderay in time, I text him and asked him to wait for me. His mother has become a very special part of my life and I really wanted to be there when she found out. So I hurried to her house once I was finished with work with the picture in hand one more time ready to deliver the news. I decided that I wanted Shawn to tell her, being as though it was his mother, so after visiting with her for a while he finally gave her the picture and said we had some news for her! Her reaction was another one of those very priceless moments that I'm so glad I was there for! Her and I went from wedding planning last summer to baby planning this summer and I'm glad she seemed excited about that! From there we went and told his grandparents and his aunts and uncles. We wanted to make sure we had the opportunity to tell them all separately. (Sorry Aunt Lori we would have loved to tell you in person but a phone call was the best option once we told grandma so we knew you heard it from us first! We love you!) Once we had finally told everyone then it was time to start making the calls to all of our other friends and letting it out on the social media! I always thought about how I'd tell my parents I was expecting for the first time and it was never this way, but I wouldn't trade these memories for anything! So now it was time to start setting up appointments!

No comments:

Post a Comment